This is one of my favorite muffins to make as it is not only gluten-free, but it’s also dairy-free and can be easily tweaked for a vegan version. It does come out green and perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast or snack for the kids and the entire family!
For a vegan friendly version, you can opt out the egg in the recipe and they will still taste good. If you are a doTERRA essential oils user and have cinnamon bark and lemon oils, add the 2 drops of cinnamon bark and 4 drops of lemon essential oil in the pureed liquid mixture and stir evenly before folding into the dry ingredients. These muffins are simple to make and are nutritious and delicious!
Gluten-Free Banana and Spinach Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free (GF) flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup organic blend coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (or 2 drops doTERRA Cinnamon Bark essential oil)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest (or 4 drops doTERRA Lemon essential oil)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk or any plant-based milk of your choice
- 1 large egg, bring to room temperature
- 5 oz. package of fresh organic baby spinach
- 2 large organic ripe bananas
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose GF flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and lemon zest.
In a blender, add the canola oil, almond milk, egg, spinach, bananas, and vanilla extract. Puree the ingredients until smooth.
Then gently fold the spinach and banana mixture into the dry ingredients. Avoid over mixing.
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. If using the sliced almonds, sprinkle a few on top of each muffin batter.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.